As the temperatures outside begin to drop, nights spent around the fire pit go up. Outdoor hearths and fire pits don’t only extend your home outside, but they extend the season so you can enjoy it longer. In fact, outdoor entertaining spaces are highly desired by homeowners. The Hearth, Patio, & Barbeque Association (HPBA) states that patios and decks are among the top requested features by homebuyers and builders. What better place to add a cozy outdoor fireplace? If your outdoor entertainment space is missing a fire feature, here’s how you can add one before fall.
Five Steps to Building a Fire Pit
- Pick a material. You can choose to design and build a fire pit out of brick, stone, or cement pavers, purchase a premade fire pit, or use a kit that contains all the supplies you need to build it yourself. You’ll also need to pick the location for your fire pit, properly prepare the area for construction, and clear it of fire hazards.
- Choose a burner. All gas units must have a fire pit burner to deliver the flame. There are many different options to choose from, depending on your design and aesthetic preference. Remember, it’s best to work with a contractor so you don’t get seriously injured during installation. A few burner choices include:
- Circle burner
- Square burner
- Spur burner
- Line burner
- H burner
- Determine if you need a burner pan. These are great for turning a wood burning fire pit into a gas one if they have the burner built in. Pans also hold fire glass or lava rock in place. They come in various shapes and sizes.
- Pick an ignition system. From match lit, to manual spark, and all weather ignition systems, you’re sure to find one that fits the design on your fire pit. Fireside Expressions even carries electronic ignition systems you can light with your smartphone.
- Choose your media. In the final step, you’ll choose between lava rock, fire glass, or faux logs to help your fire burn. Think about the size of your pit, how much filler you will need, and how frequently you will have to buy it.
Now, you’re ready to enjoy your home deck or patio with a cozy fire feature to sit around, laugh around, and make memories around. For more on fire pits and all of your outdoor entertaining needs, stop by FiresideXpressions.com!